From: <Lehanover@aol.com>
Subject: Re: [FlyRotary] Re: temperature probes
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2006 08:40:36 EDT
To: <flyrotary@lancaironline.net>
In a message dated 8/23/2006 5:52:43 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time, Dastaten@earthlink.net writes:
In my install, I have a remote oil filter, and I am going overboard with a full size, remote mount Fram HP-1 oil filter (same thing on big Ford's). The remote mount I have has 2 in and 2 out ports.. so one of the OUT ports has a temp probe in it. Filter size is probably overkill.. but there are a few areas that I have intentionally gone robust/overboard. Oil and fuel filters are one. Cooling air intake is another.

Dave
I see no reason to reward the Fram people with any form of compensation for anything.

The Fram HP-1 (racing) filter can is probably not made by them. Why make one good filter in a factory that makes crap filters. All of the big names make filters and add them to their own catalogues, but they buy other manufacturers filters to put in their own catalogues to have a full line of elements. So everyone's catalogue is about the same thickness. Amazing yes.

When I worked for DLA one of my jobs was approving filter elements for use on government owned equipment. I got a salesman display from Wicks division of Dana corp. It was a wicks filter can and a Fram filter can cut open so as to display the guts, or lack thereof.

The Wicks was the Napa 51515 and the Fram was the PH8A  (same application) in fact the most widely used filter anywhere.

The Wix had metal end caps on 416 square inches of element to the Frams 119 square inches, and paper end caps. I note in this report that those numbers are different than what I got when I cut the element apart and measured them. The difference between the Wix and Fram is just stunning.

I had a double filter mount on my Fiat race car and when I fired the engine up, I heard this clinking sound above the engine sound and found that the end cap on one of the frams was bending away from the mount, exposing the gasket. Right next to the headers. So I never bought another Fram filter since. I have seen the Fram HP-1 used in race cars with no can failures. How well they filter I cannot say.

Champion labs and Wix make most of the aftermarket filters and fill catalogues for others.
Champion makes a line of filters for aircraft use and they have a safety wire feature.
Neither makes an element as poor as Fram.

I use the K&N 8001 filter cans (2) because they flow 14 GPM at 16 microns, and have a 450 pound burst can. It has a wrenching hex and a safety wire feature.

Here is a home grown study of filters done by a private person on his own time. He did not have the burst and dirt holding testing fixtures but did a very nice job of describing each element.

If it is not very heavy, and, it looks like crap when you cut it open, it is crap.

Friends don't let friends use Fram filters.

There are many sizes of element that will fit any specific mount. On a formula car I used a Wix element for a farm tractor that had the same gasket diameter and thread size as the PH8A but twice the paper and can length of a standard 51515. Just no detectable pressure drop across that element.

But I run on as usual.

Lynn E. Hanover
Image
fiat1.jpg