From: Ed Anderson <eanderson@carolina.rr.com>
Subject: Re: [FlyRotary] Re: Back in the saddle again!
Date: Sun, 30 Jul 2006 19:36:19 -0400
To: Rotary motors in aircraft <flyrotary@lancaironline.net>
Hi Dave,

Yes, despite predictions by some experts to the contrary, Plugs-UP has no more (and no less) problems than the normal orientation. I have been flying 8 years at this point with that installation.

  I find advantages in a simpler exhaust exit and more room (on the side of the cowl) to configure manifolds.   My induction manifold draws air from the front bottom of the cowl (see bottom opening and fins of oil cooler in photo of fins) through the opening made for my oil cooler .     I have the engine intake just in front of the oil cooler where there is a positive pressure region.  Undoubtedly diverts some of the cooling air that would have gone through the oil cooler core, but oil temps stay where I feel comfortable.  However, I undoubtedly pick up some heat and the SCATT/SCEET tubing certainly is not conducive to good air flow.  I plan on changing that in the future at some point.

Here is a photo (After.jpg) , that shows the manifold which runs down the side ( you can see the tubes if you look carefully)  and then wrap under the bottom of the engine.  I can adjust the intake runner length by approx 4".    Intake and exhaust ports are on the bottom in my installation.

Ed