From: Marvin Kaye <marv@lancaironline.net>
Subject: Re: [FlyRotary] Re: Heat Exchanger Efficiency was Re: EWP Tech Data
Date: Sun, 20 Oct 2002 14:07:58 -0400
To: <flyrotary>
Posted for "Ed Anderson" <eanderson@carolina.rr.com>:

Todd, straying from the GM cores could be a mistake (no, I don't own stock
in GM {:>)).   The reason I bring this up is there was an article in
"CONTACT!" magazine a few years back (Issue  # 43 as best I recall) where a
fellow tried Evaporator Cores from both GM and Ford.  He found considerable
difference in their cooling effectiveness and decided to find out why.

He cut a GM and Ford evaporator core in two and discovered that the cross
tank tubing/Channels (paths from one side tank to the other) were
considerably different in size.  I forget the exact details (he had some
good photos of each -cut in half) but the diameter of the Ford channels were
approx 1/32-1/64" in dia where as the GM channels were closer to 1/8-3/16"
in diameter.  His conclusion was that the considerably smaller channels in
the Ford core (while fine for Freon flow) were simply too small for good
water flow. I looked, but  can't find my Issue #43 at the moment, I suspect
I put away in a safe place {:>)

Hopefully, this will not cause a problem for you since you have already
choosen the Ford cores, but just in case you encounter cooling problems, I
would not want it to be blamed on the EWP when the cores could possibly be
the problem.  You might want to try to locate a copy of the article and see
what you think.

Best Regards

Ed Anderson