From: jesse farr <jesse@jessfarr.com>
Subject: Re: [FlyRotary] Alternate alternators
Date: Tue, 27 Dec 2005 13:36:27 -0500
To: Rotary motors in aircraft <flyrotary@lancaironline.net>
The simplest, surest, country boy way I know is to make one, put it on the old test bed and drive it around. Lot less theoretical engineering work and if/when it brakes, you just drive it home. Believe me, you don't fall too far that way and you can mistreat it much more than you ever should more than a foot or so off the ground. <g>
jofarr, soddy tn

----- Original Message ----- From: "Ernest Christley" <echristley@nc.rr.com>

One of the things Richard and I discussed yesterday was going with the RX-8 style of pickup and using the distributor shaft to drive an alternate power source.  He rightly noted that the gears probably aren't rated to be very strongs, since all they do is drive the distributor and oil pumps. The questions are 1)How much load would a generator add?  and 2) How much load can the gears take?

I don't have anything for the second question, but I got some numbers for the first part using: http://www.aeroelectric.com/articles/alternators/UA/Alternators_3.html

Assuming a 20A load at an 800RPM idle as the highest torque a 65% efficient generator would be applying:

(14V x 20A)/.65 = 431W needed to drive the generator.  431/746 yields .577HP.

(.577HP x 63.024) / 400RPM = .091 in-lb of torque on the gear.