From: Buly <atlasyts@bellsouth.net>
Subject: Re: [FlyRotary] RD-1C Dissasembly Thoughts
Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2005 13:34:57 -0500
To: Rotary motors in aircraft <flyrotary@lancaironline.net>

On Dec 22, 2005, at 1:27 PM, Bill Dube wrote:

  I am about to install my RD-1C PSRU (as soon as I can get the correct
flex plate.)

   I was reading the instructions and there were some warnings about the
difficulty of breaking the sealant between the drive and the mounting
plate. I know that at some point, I will need to disassemble the drive
and it will be difficult to separate the mounting plate from the drive
housing.

   What would be wrong with adding a few tapped holes between the existing
holes in the bolt circle of the mounting plate? When is comes time to
separate the plate, I would just screw in a few bolts into these holes
and tighten them in sequence. This would push the drive housing away
from the mounting plate in a controlled manner. No hammers, pry bars,
or bad language required.

   Am I missing something, or is this a good idea?

   Bill Dube'

That's a good idea Bill, but aluminum threads can be stripped very easy. Unless you are using very coarse threads, or have threaded flange pressed in?