From: Monty Roberts <montyr2157@alltel.net>
Subject: cooling/TAS vs IAS
Date: Fri, 23 Dec 2005 10:20:28 -0600
To: <flyrotary@lancaironline.net>
Let me see if I've got this right.  "q" is dynamic pressure, correct?  As best I recall the equation for dynamic pressure is  1/2pV^2 with p being air density and V velocity.

 So if I understand you correctly, it appears that even for IAS - the case is we are using TAS (actual velocity of air molecules - or aircraft) to generate the dynamic pressure in the pitot tube  that gives us an indication - we know as IAS?  So I guess its correct to say IAS is a reflection of "q" but the indication is actually a result of air density and TAS, Correct??

  I   certainly understand your argument for TAS as being the speed of the molecules and therefore the rate at which they carry away heat.    Its just I would have bet money that if you wanted to test the effects of different ambient tempts on a core, you would ensured that they both saw the same dynamic pressure.   In order to do that, of course, at higher altitude you would need a greater true airspeed (due to the lower density) in order to get the same IAS (dynamic pressure) as you would have at a lower altitude (denser air with less TAS).

 But, you live and learn.

Getting older and none the swifter {:>)

Ed A

Sounds like you got it. There is no apples to apples in this case. The only apples to apples is same pressure, lower T1 same heat rejection. Of course density will be higher and Dt will be lower.

The only apples I'm interested in is the same fuel flow (heat rejection) Everything else will be different and I want to know how much so I can make a guestimate of heat exchanger effectiveness.

What method did you use in your math models for the heat exchangers? LMTD or NTU?

Monty