From: Tracy Crook <lors01@msn.com>
Subject: Re: [FlyRotary] Re: RD-1C Dissasembly Thoughts
Date: Fri, 23 Dec 2005 10:27:00 -0500
To: Rotary motors in aircraft <flyrotary@lancaironline.net>
Ed & Dave's approach will work fine or use the hole drilled in the spacer method that I use.  Pulling the drive straight off is VERY difficult.  I think you could actually hoist the airplane straight up from the prop flange with no bolts installed in the gear housing.  Do be sure and leave a few bolts with loose nuts to limit side travel when breaking the seal.

To make this operation easier, Don't clean the mating surfaces before putting the sealant on!  I used to do that out of habit but found that it was not necessary.  Now I actually apply a thin coat of oil to the adapter plate before installing the drive.  This makes it much easier to remove the drive later.   I have never had a problem with oil leaks even when using the oil.

Tracy