From: Ed Anderson <eanderson@carolina.rr.com>
Subject: Re: [FlyRotary] Off Topic "Switch Placements"
Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2005 08:57:49 -0500
To: Rotary motors in aircraft <flyrotary@lancaironline.net>
Doug, I think it depends on several factors.  Left handed? right handed? Which seat will you fly from (I presume pilots seat but some folks fly from passengers seat).   Do you fly holding control stick with left or right hand? (I am right handed but fly holding the control stick with my left hand).

 In any case, I want my critical switches where they can easily be reached (without taking my  hand off the control stick).  I want them easily assessable - but, not easy to bump and accidentally turn off/on.    My critical switches (power to EC2, ignition, pumps) are immediately in front on lower sub panel.   My EC2 is mounted in the panel to the right of the throttle (within easy reach).

My switches run left; to right on a subpanel extending the full width of panel :
"Live man" circuit breaker
Master Power Switch
EC2/Ignition Power Switch
Main EFI pump
backup EFI pump
Instrument Lights
Pitot Tube Heat
Turn Coordinator
Individual radio switch (have a master avionics switch as well).
Nav (Vor - never turned on, never used)
Boost pump (center console above fuel gauges)
Landing lights
Nav lights
Strobe lights

Power switch for gauges
Aux Nav (GPS)
Transponder
Heater Fan
 etc.
Circuit breakers are located on right side of panel.

Hope this helps.

Ed