From: Kelly Troyer <keltro@att.net>
Subject: Renesis Ignition Position Sensor
Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2005 02:02:29 +0000
To: <flyrotary@lancaironline.net>
Guys,
   Info I left out of previous post........If a Mazda Protege camshaft sensor is
sourced be sure it is for/from a 1.8 or 2.0 liter engine........
--
Kelly Troyer
Dyke Delta/13B/RD1C/EC2

-------------- Original message from keltro@att.net (Kelly Troyer): --------------

Group,
       For those who may be switching their 13B ignition to the Renesis RX8 type
of triggering here is the "Official" RX8 test procedure to determine if the eccentric
shaft "Position Sensor" is good.......As I prevously reported the 93-95 RX7 (uses
two), 99-02 Mazda Protege (camshaft sensor) and all RX8's to date all use the
same sensor.......Tracy's "EC2" uses one of these sensors if set up for RX8 type
triggering.......The best prices I have found for new sensors is "Rock auto" online
about $81.00........Prices range up to about $120.00....."Standard motor Products"
part # PC193 is the low price brand at "Rock Auto"........I bought a used sensor
on E-bay........Now need to obtain connector (salvage yard).......Attached is photo of what you need.........FWIW
--
Kelly Troyer
Dyke Delta/13B/RD1C/EC2

ECCENTRIC SHAFT POSITION SENSOR INSPECTION

Note
• Before performing the following inspection, make sure to follow the troubleshooting flowchart. (See Troubleshooting Procedure.)

Visual Inspection

1. Remove the eccentric shaft position sensor.

2. Verify that there are no metal shavings on the sensor.

• If the monitor item condition (reference) is not within the specification even though there is no malfunction, perform the "Circuit Open/Short Inspection".

Resistance Inspection

1. Disconnect the eccentric shaft position sensor connector.

2. Measure the coil resistance between eccentric shaft position sensor terminals A and B.

• If not within the specification, replace the eccentric shaft position sensor.
• If the monitor item condition/specification (reference) is not within the specification, even though the eccentric shaft position sensor resistance is within the specification, perform the "Circuit Open/Short Inspection" and repair or replace the malfunctioning part.
Eccentric shaft position sensor resistance
950-1,250 ohms (at room temperature)