From: Ed Anderson <eanderson@carolina.rr.com>
Sender: Marvin Kaye <marv@lancaironline.net>
Subject: Re: [FlyRotary] Re: EWP Tech Data
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2002 19:05:01 -0400
To: <flyrotary>
Hi Al, Rusty,

    My take is not that the EWP is 57 times more efficient than a mechanical water pump.  If I understood the charts on the Davies EWP site, it indicates to me that a mechanical pump at engine rpm of 6000 may be a case of a lot of wasted power.  In other words, at the higher rpm a lot of the energy is simply wasted in churning water through restrictions, surface friction and against head pressure.

  That would seem to imply that perhaps a mechanical pump could be turned at a lot lower rpm and still provide adequate coolant circulation flow rate for cooling.   If however, this is the case - you would have thought the OEM of autos would have jumped on that like a dog on a bone to gain a 5% increase.  Although the cost/benefit trade-off reasons for manufacturing mulit million units may have dictated otherwise.

  As Leon points out the 80 lit/min flow is equivalent to approx 25 US gallons/min.  The only figure I recall seeing on the Mazda (if memory serves me correctly) coolant is approx 13 GPM flow.  If that is the case, then the data on the EWP indicates it will have no problem meeting the flow needs of the rotary.  .

    So, I don't think anyone is claiming the EWP is 57 times more efficient than a mechanical pump, however, it does seem to imply mechanical pumps at engine rpm of 6000 are wasting a lot of energy to no additional cooling benefit.

 Thats my 0.02 worth on the topic and I think I'll now wait to see what we hear from Todd.

Best Regards

Ed Anderson

 flow----- Original Message -----