From: Haywire <haywire@telus.net>
Sender: Marvin Kaye <marv@lancaironline.net>
Subject: EWP adapter pics
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2002 08:45:13 -0400
To: <flyrotary>
Hey Guys;
One of the main benefits of this EWP is the weight savings by removing the
mechanical pump. However, unfortunately the kit doesn't provide any sort of
adapter, instead recommending either removal of the impeller or just the
belts. The procedure for installing the RDT that senses temp for the
controller is also a little Mickey mouse IMO. However I can't fault Davis
Craig for this as I realize that this kit is designed for a quick install
into a multitude of vehicle designs with various engines, so their kit is
good for a reliable generic install.
However since I'm in a position to do better, I've attempted to do just
that. Some of you may remember my earlier attempts at an engine mount
combined with a pump adapter. It worked well, but wasn't as light as I
wanted, lacked provision for temp sensors and still required extra fittings
to fit the hose and "T" in my turbo coolant return line.
I found in a salvage yard a piece of 1.5" x 3.1" x 30" solid aluminium for
$10 cdn. So I spent an evening carving an adapter out of this. The completed
adapter with RDT fitting weighed in @ 508 grams. I welded the inlet & outlet
nipples directly to this block. The Turbo coolant return and the RDT
fittings are SS instrument tube fittings, threaded into the block.
The EWP controller needs a temp reading from the outlet of the block so in
a sense, this is the thermostat. I also installed an additional fitting in
the outlet and 1 in the inlet for temp display on an engine monitor in the
future.
This adapter isn't necessary but certainly makes for a better installation.

S. Todd Bartrim
Turbo 13B rotary powered
RV-9endurance (FWF)
C-FSTB