From: Ed Anderson <eanderson@carolina.rr.com>
Sender: Marvin Kaye <marv@lancaironline.net>
Subject: Re: [FlyRotary]Another Rotary AD
Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2002 01:06:44 -0400
To: <flyrotary>

> A popular mod for flying rotaries is to install a spacer under the oil
> bypass valve to disable it.  The piston in the thermal pellet is usually
> removed when doing this.
>
> Another popular mod is to install the Racing Beat under drive pulley on
the
> crank to slow down the waterpump and alternator.
>
> If the spacer was made to fit the stock pulley before changing to the
> aftermarket pulley, the bypass valve will be in the incorrect position due
> to differences in the pulley.  This results in low oil pressure, similar
> the blown out O-ring in the front cover.
>
> This problem has shown up in at least three engines, Jerry Bass' being the
> latest.  If you experience low oil pressure on a newly built engine, check
> this as a possibility.
>
> Tracy Crook
> tcrook@rotaryaviation.com
> www.rotaryaviation.com

That is very interesting, Tracy.  I did the mod according to the guidance in
your orginal conversion manuel and am using the Racing Beat pulley and never
had a problem with it in my 86 NA.  I now use the thermal pellet repacement
plug sold by Dave Atkins in my turbo II and have had not problem.  It sounds
like a small difference in the configuration of the plug can make a big
difference in the oil pressure.

Ed Anderson