From: BillDube@killacycle.com <billdube@killacycle.com>
Subject: Whyn is there a balance weight? (was: Rx-8 Rotors....)
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2005 00:34:51 -0600
To: Rotary motors in aircraft <flyrotary@lancaironline.net>

Ed Don't forget lighter rotors would require different balance weights.

        This is going to be a silly question to the experts, but I can't help but ask it:

        I haven't been able to understand why the balance weight is even needed. I don't doubt that it is needed, but I don't understand why. I look at the eccentric shaft, and it is symmetric. The rotors are 180 degrees out in relation to each other. The rotors spin 1/3 as fast as the eccentric shaft, to which the balance weight is attached. How would the quickly-turning balance weight do anything in opposition to the rotors? What, exactly, does the balance weight counter balance?