From: Jerry Hey <jerryhey@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: [FlyRotary] Peripheral port 26b Le Mans paper
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2005 15:40:42 -0500
To: Rotary motors in aircraft <flyrotary@lancaironline.net>
Mike,  the reason my ports are round are two fold:  First,  it is easy to make a round hole and second, for our rpms the round hole is adequate.  My throttle body's walls are thick enough that one could make the port considerably larger with a die grinder.  The finished shape would be a rounded rectangle similar to the exhaust port.  I believe that the ported housings sold by Racing Beat have round ports unless they have changed the profile recently.  That is the way they used to be.     Jerry

On Tuesday, March 15, 2005, at 01:17  PM, Wynn, Mike wrote:

I am sure many will have seen this already:

There is a paper on the R26b Le Mans engine at www.mymazdarotary.com under
the `Mazda rotary general' tab.
This peripheral port motor used a variable intake length and crude scaling
from the drawings in the above paper suggests an intake runner diameter of
just over 2 inches and a length of 22 inches at 6000rpm and something around
2 inches shorter at 7k.  Peak torque for this 4 rotor (448ft lb) occurred at
6,500rpm when runner length appears to be about 21inches.

A couple of questions:
Jerry: why is your inlet port round - in two strokes they are more often
oval, presumably to maximise flow for a given `valve opening'.  I guess this
is convenience for manufacturing???

Anybody: does the PP geometry make it much easier to make Al end plates and
is this the easy route to much lighter engines?

Lastly does anyone know where I can get some more information on PPs?

cheers
mike

 Homepage:  http://www.flyrotary.com/
 Archive:   http://lancaironline.net/lists/flyrotary/List.html