From: Wynn, Mike <mike.wynn@spectra-physics.com>
Subject: Peripheral port 26b Le Mans paper
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2005 10:17:24 -0800
To: <flyrotary@lancaironline.net>
I am sure many will have seen this already:

There is a paper on the R26b Le Mans engine at www.mymazdarotary.com under
the `Mazda rotary general' tab.
This peripheral port motor used a variable intake length and crude scaling
from the drawings in the above paper suggests an intake runner diameter of
just over 2 inches and a length of 22 inches at 6000rpm and something around
2 inches shorter at 7k.  Peak torque for this 4 rotor (448ft lb) occurred at
6,500rpm when runner length appears to be about 21inches.

A couple of questions:
Jerry: why is your inlet port round - in two strokes they are more often
oval, presumably to maximise flow for a given `valve opening'.  I guess this
is convenience for manufacturing???

Anybody: does the PP geometry make it much easier to make Al end plates and
is this the easy route to much lighter engines?

Lastly does anyone know where I can get some more information on PPs?

cheers
mike