From: Eric Ruttan <ericruttan@chartermi.net>
Subject: Re: fuel cutoff valve necessary?
Date: Sat, 5 Mar 2005 08:33:26 -0500
To: Rotary motors in aircraft <flyrotary@lancaironline.net>
>   I love experimental for that exact reason - experimenting, not being
stuck
> with certificated stuff. BUT certain things are required on certified
aircraft
> for a very good reason.
>
>   Thomas Jakits (resting my case....)

If the case is rested there will be no more debate.
So I add data.
Nothing ever required on certificated aircraft has a reason behind it.  If
reason was the driving factor then a better counter reason would nullify it.
Reasons of the kind I /we are familiar with lay in facts.  Logical deduction
combined with probabilities to give Risk analysis.  These tools allow us to
choose our poison.
Regulation however has nothing to do with such.  Perhaps we would like to
believe it does, or should, or perhaps we want to believe it should.  The
facts are it does not.

I suggest the excellent resource at www.areoelectric.com for further
information on electrical systems theory, and excellent IDEAs on how to
build an excellent electrical system that will sooth your fears.  The data
suggests your fears of electrical gremlins are not founded in the facts.

I will not debate these points.

Eric