From: Al Gietzen <ALVentures@cox.net>
Subject: RE: [FlyRotary] Re: 20B exhaust (so far)
Date: Tue, 1 Mar 2005 22:16:43 -0800
To: 'Rotary motors in aircraft' <flyrotary@lancaironline.net>, 'kevin lane' <n3773@comcast.net>
Re: [FlyRotary] 20B exhaust (so far)

Kevin;

You may be able to get by without bellows in that configuration; but there will be some thermal and support stresses, and at our exhaust temps, stress corrosion occurs in 321 (ask David Atkins what happened to his SS exhaust).  So when you do it over you may want to go to inconel.

Also, I believe the most reliable weld at the exhaust flange would be with a slip fit of the pipe through the flange, and the weld on the other side.  This allows the stress due to the expansion of the pipe relative to the flange to be carried against the flange rather than by the weld.

FWIW,

Al