From: Tracy Crook <lors01@msn.com>
Subject: Re: [FlyRotary] Re: Heating the Fuel
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2005 16:49:51 -0500
To: Rotary motors in aircraft <flyrotary@lancaironline.net>
ALL of this discussion was based on the use of a wet-wing aluminum fuel tank.   The tank is the cooler.

Lets assume that the fuel is indeed boiling.  This is analogous to piping steam into a cool metal tank.  The steam will condense on the walls of the tank (or the fuel in the tank) until the walls of the tank get too hot.  The question is how much heat will this tank with 175 MPH air blowing on it dissipate before getting too hot.   Bill says laminar air will limit this to a great degree.  I don't know.

Back to real world data.   I was able to cool my oil about 2 degrees with return fuel cooling during cruise flight at 175 mph.  I tried to measure the temperature rise in the tank but the .1 degree resolution of the instrument was too coarse to measure it.  (40 minute test duration)  In other words, it didn't change significantly.   This showed me that the fuel flow needed to be much higher in order to get usable level of cooling.  It also showed that the fuel tank was far from it's maximum heat dissipation capabilities.

Another useful factoid:   The oil cooler will be giving about a 40 deg delta (oil temp) at normal 13B oil flows and cruise power settings.

Tracy

<...it will be headed back to the tank where it will quickly be cooled ...>
How quickly?  How exactly does does it cool it all that quickly?  You got a heat exchanger in the tank?  How about if you're down to your last 5 gal of fuel in the tank?  How fast will fuel cool in your tank if you have no air - fuel heat exchanger.  In my tank it could take hours.

If Tracy's pump is returning 40 gph to the tank (and, we must infer, burning about another 15 gph) that's a total of 55 gph through the pump.  Assuming a 25 gal tank (in each wing), that means at the end of an hour you've got 10 gal left and recirculated 40 through the tank.  The average fuel in the tank over that hour would be 17.5 gal, so you've run it all through your heat exchanger about 2.3 times.  How hot do you reckon it's going to be at the end of that hour?

Do the math .. it IS "the mother of all vapor locks" ... Jim S.

DaveLeonard wrote:
Bill & Jim, first and most important, we are all in agreement that this is
not worth doing.  However, you made a couple of assumptions that are not
quiet accurate.  First, the pumps from Tracy will return 40 gal/hr to the
tank (not 15 - I know, I monitor it in flight).  Second, there will be a
much higher rise in the fuel temp.  Because the fuel would be going so
slowly through the heat exchanger I would EXPECT it to reach the temperature
of the incoming coolant, or about a 100 deg rise.  This will not cause "the
mother of all vapor locks" becuase it will be headed back to the tank where
it will quickly be cooled.  How quickly?  Quickly enough that the temp of
the fuel on its way to the engine will be no warmer than ambient.  It
matters not the volume of fuel in the tank (other than contact area).      I
expect it to be the temp of the fuel going TO the engine to be at ambient -
and adding no additional risk of vapor lock.

But, the coolant will still only drop about 3 deg, which is not enough to
make it worth it.

Dave Leonard

<... For a 10 degree rise in gasoline temperature you would get a
630/12000 = 0.0525 deg F drop in coolant temperature ...>

OTOH, you'd soon heat your fuel to very near the coolant temp and have
the mother of all vapor locks.
If that's what you're looking for ... Jim S.

William wrote:

Dave,
If you burn 10 g/hr, and are returning 15 g/hr to the tanks, that is
15*6 = 90 #/hr of gasoline, with a specific heat of ~.7Btu/#, that
means you can transfer 90* 0.7 = 63 Btu/hr/degF rise in gasoline
temperature. Your coolant flow is probably about 25 gallons/minute, =
25*60 = 1500 gallons/hour = ~1500*8 = 12000 #/hour. For a 10 degree
rise in gasoline temperature you would get a 630/12000 = 0.0525 deg F
drop in coolant temperature.  Doesn't seem worth it.

* note: I used rounded figures for densities and flow rates and heat
capacities. The fact remains that the flow mismatch makes this not do
much.
Bill Schertz
KIS Cruiser # 4045