From: George Lendich <lendich@optusnet.com.au>
Subject: Re: [FlyRotary] Re: P port intake
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2005 07:34:44 +1000
To: Rotary motors in aircraft <flyrotary@lancaironline.net>
Jerry,
You could be right there with the higher velocity - but I was referring more to the lower velocities, bigger tubes scenario.
George (down under)
George, just a reminder that the "fuel droplets dropping out of suspension" is just a theory that may or may not actually occur or even if it does occur, may not have much of an effect. At the velocities we are talking about, the inlet charge may well scrub off pipe interiors preventing any build up. If this is a real problem then moving the injectors to the bottom of the sweep just in front of the throttle body should take care of it. Direct injection may turn out to be an elegant solution to a problem that does not exist. Jerry

On Thursday, February 10, 2005, at 03:00 AM, George Lendich wrote:

Tom,
Your on the right track!
Exhaust contamination of the inlet charge, affects idle ( only) as the exhaust become self evacuating at higher velocity (RPM).
Cause larger Ports and PP

Backpressure on the inlet charge also affects idle as the backpressure cause fuel droplets to drop out of suspension, which causes surging, one inlet charge lean the next rich etc.
Cause larger ports and PP.

The close to housing butterfly, helps to minimize both, before too much ( of either)
enters the inlet manifold tube.

The RX 8 eliminates the first problem i.e. overlap. No problem with the second.
PP can cause the second problem.
DI will eliminate both problems!
George ( down under)

Sorry.  Ok, it's not the residue that would be a problem, it's the back pressure in a combined intake system.

Tom <tomtugan@yahoo.com> wrote:

That is interesting Ed.  Just thinking about it and now it would seem that the expelled residue would be the first thing that got sucked back thru a dedicated runner, also having a negative effect.

Ed Anderson <eanderson@carolina.rr.com> wrote:

Tom,

One reason that Jerry would not want to do that is that there is overlap between intake and exhaust.  That means while one rotor is trying to suck air in its intake port - the intake port of the other rotor may be expelling some residue exhaust gas out its intake and opposing any incoming air.  I think the engine would certainly  run but I don't think you would develop best power.  Now it would probably  be a different story with the Renesis which by moving the exhaust ports to the side housings has eliminate the exhaust/intake overlap.

FWIW

Ed A