From: Haywire <haywire@telus.net>
Sender: Marvin Kaye <marv@lancaironline.net>
Subject: RE: [FlyRotary] Re: EWP
Date: Wed, 09 Apr 2003 01:38:22 -0400
To: <flyrotary>
. Could you post
> a picture
> of your adapter?  Trying to figure if I can pull the heater feed for the
> cockpit out the adapter.
Why not use the stock heater outlet from the block? These are photos of the
EWP adapter block before some mods. I have now cut off the hose nips and
welded on larger 1" nips for 1.25" hose. I also changed the outlet to flow
straight out to flow into a coolant header tank. I've also put a plug in the
turbo coolant return, and return this to the header tank instead.
The pics of the header tank are also out of date as I have now welded on an
aluminum filler neck and have a 18-22# cap on the top, and have it mounted
properly to the F/W. The heater hose return can be seen under the header
tank. I would send a couple of new pics, but the plane is outside in the
dark right now. Tomorrow after work I plan to remove the wings, and bring it
back into the shop, then I can take a couple of new pics.

> What is the head pressure on your unit and the pump curve for the Davies
> unit?
I never measured pressure differential during my tests, as I only measured
system pressure, which I had pressurized to 20#

In case you missed them here are the results of my tests:

I ran the first test with the Ford evap cores in the system, plumbed in
parallel.
Max flow 9.3 usg/m  35 l/m
12.07 volt battery supply voltage
4.3 amps current draw
max inrush current draw at 100mS - 6.8 amps

    Second test had no evap cores in the system. Simply recirced water
through pump - engine - header tank - pump.
max flow 13.0 usg/m   49 l/m
12.06 volt battery supply voltage

    Third test, I plumbed in a set of GM (Harrison) evap cores in parallel,
into the system. I hung them just below my mounted Ford cores, using they
same pipe sizes in an effort to have comparable test conditions.
max flow 7.7 usg/m   29 l/m
12.4 volts supply voltage (I hooked a trickle charger to the battery)

    In each test configuration test results are with heater valve closed.
Heater core added .5 usg/m in each case.

continuous current draw - 4.3 amps
max inrush current draw at 100mS - 6.8 amps
max inrush current draw at 250uS - 13 amps
continuous current draw at minimum controlled flow - .2 amps

Hope this helps

S. Todd Bartrim
Turbo 13B rotary powered
RV-9endurance (FWF)
C-FSTB
http://www3.telus.net/haywire/RV-9/C-FSTB.htm

         "Whatever you vividly imagine, Ardently desire, Sincerely believe
in, Enthusiastically act upon, Must inevitably come to pass".

---